Preparing the ground for landscaping

Old 04-25-05, 11:14 AM
billybabe
Visiting Guest
Preparing the ground for landscaping

I have an area aroung my pool deck which is a concrete apron. I am cleaning out all the big chunks of concrete which were left buried by an inefficient contractor( I'm being nice ). My problem is that I don't what to do with the sand/dirt/gravel and stone mix that is presently in the ground. Do I have to remove everything and put loam in? Or should I leave it all and put loam on top. How many inches of loam do I need? How about drainage? Do I need a layer of gravel? If so how should I go about it? (i.e How deep should the gravel be, etc..) I live in southern New Hampshire if that helps. Please help me I am at a loss and my yard is a mess. Thanks bunches!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 05:22 PM
After removing the concrete and other large stones, the remaining soil can be a mixture of soil and some small rocks without a problem. Unless it is clay or sand, the exiting soil may do well enough. If water will drain away now, there should not be any trouble with drainage.

One way to boost the environment without hauling in a truck load of soil is to plant plants in a hole that has the soil improved at the time of planting. Dig a wide hole and mix the soil with some planting soil or potting soil to improve the overall quality of the soil where the plant is placed. If you dig a 2 foot wide hole to plant a one gallon plant, the large amount of improved soil will be a good starting point for the plant. Over time you can work on the soil in the are in general with mulch to provide a developing improvement in the soil.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-05, 11:10 PM
After removing all debris, you should have soil tested to make sure what you need to make any required soil amendments to meet the expectations of what you want to plant. If in doubt, contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent about soil tests and the best types of plants and grass that are recommended for your area and the required soil amendments.