Topping Trees

Old 04-29-05, 07:41 AM
yfct
Visiting Guest
Topping Trees

I heard it's a bad practice to top trees. I'm wondering what would be the consequences of topping trees. Will it make the tree grow even faster, or root system stronger as a reflect to the topping?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-05, 04:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Topping trees is simply butchering them. This serves no purpose other than to hack away at the tree. Pruning trees can help manage the height, shape, and density of the canopy. Pruning trees is a purposeful, careful activity the same as cutting one's hair.

Unfortunately, I see many folks waste their money having the tips of branches trimmed to make bushy growth. It looks exactly as if a 5 year old cut another 5 year old's hair.

A properly pruned tree should not look any different, unless you knew exactly how it was changed.

One example of extreme pruning would be fruit trees in production, such as: peach trees with the open crown and controlled branches to facilitate fruit production and harvesting. Another would be a tree espaliered against a wall.

In sum, topping trees does not make the roots stronger or the tree grow faster.

Old 05-08-05, 02:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Topping disfigures trees. It throws off the root ratio, and roots may not get enough nutrition. Topped trees become stressed. Once weakened, they are more subject to insects and disease.