Thinking about putting in a sprinkler system....

Old 05-04-05, 07:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking about putting in a sprinkler system....

Just for the front of my house. I am pretty confident I can lay all the pipes easily enough... but I was wondering about a few things. First, I have a well in the backyard that isn't used -- can I use this to water my lawn exclusively? I figure I save on water bills that way I am not sure how I would hook it up to the system, and whether I need a pump, or what...

Next, are there any step-by-step guides out there on what to buy, how to zone your lawn, etc? I will call the gas company to make sure everything is marked out, but I do want a foundation on what to do before I get to it. I have ripped up a good portion of my lawn right now, but the problem is that I have to lay pipe under the sidewalk. Any way to do this painlessly instead of breaking the cement?

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-05, 05:19 PM
This is possibly the most reliable, comprehensive site on lawn irrigation that we have found.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=102761

Hope this helps.

Old 05-07-05, 10:25 PM
DIY lawn irrigation can be done. When I lived in Va. Beach, because of the high cost of water homeowners had shallow irrigation wells with pumps in garages to support the sprinkler system. Problem was that during hot, dry months everyone was sprinkling and the water table got sucked dry. Too, the irrigation wells were high iron content and those who had misdirected sprinklers had iron stains on their homes.

You will need to install your system & hook it to the water supply that is supplied by your pump. The link provided to you is reportedly the most high-tech available.

For some water-saving tips: http://www.tampagov.net/dept_water/c...eCheckList.asp