Transplanting Hydreneas???

Old 05-10-05, 03:59 AM
Cooldep
Visiting Guest
Question Transplanting Hydreneas???

Okay, first off, Hello from the City of Champions, Boston, MA. REDSOX/PATRIOTS
Next, being a city boy could someone advise me on if, or how safe it will be to transplant 2 four year old Hydreneas from the 35 gallon tubs I have in front yard of my home to the ground below them. The Barrels are rotted and just plain old. Its May 10th and it has all nice little green buds all over them. I need to know if its safe to transplant them now or should it be done in the Fall? The ground/Soil is good under the barrels. I guess I should use the fertilizer I used when I planted them in barrels 4 years ago. For new planting. Man sold it to me when I bought Hydreneas.
Sorry about length of post,,
Thank you,,
~~Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-05, 06:06 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not familiar with a Hydrenea (maybe a hydranga?), but I think it would be OK to plant it in the ground. Your season is just getting started, so you should be fine. Make sure you water it in well to help settle the soil and get rid of air pockets and keep it watered well for the first couple weeks.

Old 05-11-05, 04:23 AM
Cooldep
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Lots of water for transplanting

Thank you for getting back to me Pilot Dane...I looked up the correct spelling of Hydrangeas. They have a Web Page. Pete's
So the help I needed was what you gave me. I was afraid I could kill the plant. Its grown very well in the first 3 years & I don't want to kill it off. So I will follow your directions along with "Pete's" site.
Thanks again Dane..
~~Paul

Old 05-17-05, 05:20 PM
Hydrangeas can be finicky. All hydrangeas will bloom and grow well in morning sun and afternoon shade. In the northern half of the US a half day of good sun will work. Do not transplant to an area of heavy shade. Blooms will be sparse and not fully develop. Some species require all day sun. Some prefer morning sun and afternoon shade. Hydrangeas need lots of moisture. If you are transplanting, make sure that they get lots of supplemental moisture the first two years, especially during droughts. Do not plant under a tree because of competition for moisture with tree roots and competition for sunlight. A rule of thumb is not to transplant to area where grass does not grow. Hydrangeas do not do well in extremely hot weather (except Oakleaf). You will want to transplant to an area that provides shelter from heat and hot wind. Oakleaf Hydrangeas can not handle wet feet and lots of moisture because they will develop root rot.

Any species of hydrangea is best planted or transplanted in early spring or fall before temperatures drop to freezing. If transplanting in fall avoid fertilizer and do so at least 60 days before freezing so plant can get settled in. Do not plant in sandy soil or heavy clay. Amend soil as needed. A soil sample is recommended. Hydrangeas prefer soil rich in organic material. Fertilize with a slow release fertilizer or aged compost during growing season. Newly planted hydrangeas should be watered well once a day if planted in a shadier spot and twice a day if planted in more sun for the first two to three weeks.