Looking for "hydrospade"


Old 05-15-05, 06:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Looking for "hydrospade"

Years ago, my grandfather used a device to dig deep ~1-1/4" diameter holes around his trees for deep watering, fertilizing, etc. I believe it was called a "hydrospade", or maybe a "waterspade". Anyway, this was basically a four foot length of ~1" diameter steel pipe, flattened on one end to produce a flat opening. The other end had handles, a hookup for a garden hose, and a water pressure gauge. It used the house water pressure to dig a hole as the tool was rotated and pushed into the ground. The key to its operation was the connector for the water hose. It had a small opening that pulled in air into the water coming into the tool from the garden hose. So, as you were "digging" the hole, the air bubbles assisted in eroding soil at the flattened tool tip.

Does anyone know if this device is still available??? I have Googled, eBayed, Amazoned, etc., with no luck.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-05, 11:06 AM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
Old 05-19-05, 03:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Yes, it is similar, but not exact. This was sort of a cross of the two you found....handles, but the larger diameter of the copper one.

Makes me think I could just make one........


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes