Weeds, bamboo?

Old 05-16-05, 07:49 AM
powers1
Visiting Guest
Weeds, bamboo?

We recently purchased a house in eastern Massachuetts and the back yard is overrun by a tall weed that looks like bamboo when you break it in half. It grows quite tall (over 6 feet) and has a very stubborn root system. What is it and how do I get rid of it?? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 08:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rid the Bamboo

I have purchased a home in central Massachusetts which seems to have the same tall "grass" bamboo like plant you have. I went and knocked it down at first.....probably should have known it wouldn't be that easy to get rid of it.......It grew to 6 feet tall in about 3-4 weeks! I have resorted to digging up most of these plants by the root. A daunting task (especially when in my case its on a hillside) Just when I thought I got all the roots, a week later I see little red plants coming up.....baby bamboo!? But for the most part, it is gone. Maybe someone can reply and let us know of a much easier way of ridding this bamboo. I call it bamboo for a lack of a better term to call it.

Old 05-16-05, 09:39 PM
Digging bamboo out by hand or with backhoe is recommended. Chunks of roots should be removed from soil. New sprouts can be snapped off with fingers. Or, if digging is not your cup of tea, bamboo can be cut one piece at a time about 6" from soil. Immediately (within seconds) brush with Roundup. Bamboo is a grass, not a tree. When cut, the sap is drawn downward into root system. You need the Roundup to get drawn in too.

Old 05-20-05, 08:16 PM
Sachin
Visiting Guest
Realistically, the only way to get rid of large bamboo stands is with a small backhoe. Those roots can go pretty deep. Remember, "as above, so below".

Sachin

Old 06-13-05, 08:00 PM
Many years ago (20 or more) I purchased from Agway a poison that got rid of the bamboo. Can't remember the name and don't know if they even sell it anymore. It was pretty powerful stuff, however, it did the trick. I had to spray the leaves. The poison was taken into the plant and down to the roots. The plant began to die within a few days, but you had to resist the temptation to cut it down while it was still wilting . It took the whole summer to get rid of a patch about 20' x20'. And actually I had a few small plants reappear the follow year. Did the same thing with the poison and it was gone. Trying to dig it out is a lost cause. You need to kill it.

Old 06-18-05, 01:44 PM
There are systemic weed killers for woody plants. As indicated, it will take some patience for the killer to be transported throughout the root system. Care should be taken if you are spraying to avoid getting the killer on anything else in the landscape.