Roots in the backyard - Stone work issue

Old 05-16-05, 11:14 AM
Riccardo11
Visiting Guest
Roots in the backyard - Stone work issue

Hello.

I have a large backyard (apprx. 114 ft.) that has 7 spruce trees.
I wanted to lay down a flagstone floor on less than half of the yard...but I have the roots of these trees embedded on the sides and parts of the middle of the yard.

Can laying flagstone be done? If so...what would be the best way to go about this as I would like to attempt it.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 09:44 PM
As these shallow-rooted trees mature, roots will get larger and continue to push upward. While flagstone is lovely, you will not be happy with the results when laying over tree roots. Depending on species, some spruces reach 40-50 feet in height with root systems that can reach far beyond their height. Tree roots compete with grass and other plantings so it can be difficult to establish a lawn. If you visit a forest where spruce trees grow, there tends to be nothing growing under them. Perhaps adding about a foot of soil over roots, taking care to not get soil on trunks, to create a raised bed and plant species of plants or shrubs or ground cover that can tolerate your growing conditions would be easier. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for a list of plants and shrubs that will do well within your growing limitations.

Old 05-17-05, 10:46 AM
Riccardo11
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice!