Installing a yard drain of some sort

Old 05-17-05, 11:39 AM
Question Installing a yard drain of some sort

I literally live in a hole. ALL the water from the whole block drains toward my house. (Don't ask me why I didn't notice that before I bought the house, ugh) Is there some kind of drainage system that I could install around the perameter of my yard (without looking like a mote)? I don't even know what kind of a contractor to talk to about this. What kind of a cost would I be looking at? I would not be able to do the work myself.
Thanks.
Cats

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-05, 01:49 PM
Riccardo11
Visiting Guest
Hello.

Well I think the first thing you need to do is to create a slope that declines away from your house. This is one of the primary methods to avoid water going back towards your house thereby avoiding foundation damage and leaking basements.

Another thing to avoid is shrubbery or trees with deep roots that are growing up against the house. These can also cause cracks within the foundation...allwinf water to penetrate.

Water can be one of the most damaging elements to a home over time.

Hope this helps.

-Rick

Old 05-17-05, 03:07 PM
Diverting water away from house

Water follows the path of least resistance. The most important thing is to make sure to slope soil adjacent to house approximately 1/2" to 1" inch per linear foot to divert water away from foundation. Poor grading can cause leakage and seepage into structure. Make sure gutters and downspouts divert water away from foundation. Avoid splash blocks. Install drains to collect water from gutters at least 10 feet or so away from foundation. Keep gutters and downspouts clear. If you have a basement and window wells, keep window wells clear. They should be properly drained out into yard. Avoid sunken flower beds near foundation. Soil should slope away from foundation. Make sure patios, driveways, and walkways slope away from foundation at least 1/4" per linear foot. Seal cracks between foundation walls and hard surfaces with flexible caulk.

Trenches can be dug along perimeter of property to divert water. Make sure you do not divert water onto a neighbor's property. If trenches are not appealing, a perimeter drain such as one that should have been installed along your foundation, can be installed. Perforated drain pipe can be placed in trench. Holes must be on top. Cover with landscape cloth to prevent clogging of holes. Then cover with gravel and top with soil.

Perhaps a consultation with a landscape engineer could provide greater insight into property drainage issues. Because costs of labor and materials tend to vary from area to area and among contractors, it would be difficult to hazard a guess about the expense of such a project.

Old 05-20-05, 05:24 AM
We had something similar in our neighborhood. New construction caused considerably more water to drain across our lawns. What was done was a berm was created to catch the water and behind the berm, some drains and dry wells were installed and the dry wells drain along the edge of someones property and on to the street behind the property in question. They had to get an easement for that property. You probably can't do that, but if the street you are on is lower than where the water accumlates then perhaps a similar drainage system could be installed. I believe in this case the drainage pipe even went along (under) county right of way for a bit in order to get a larger drop.