what are the fastest growing trees out there?

Old 05-22-05, 07:49 AM
M
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
what are the fastest growing trees out there?

In lieu of building an expensive fence and retaining wall in the front area (which faces a busy street and I'm limited to only 4' in height) I'd like to plant some trees along the front border which will grow over the 4' fence height limit.

I'd rather not wait several years for these trees to start reaching a decent height (say 5-6'), are there any types of trees which I can get at the local nursery or home depot which will grow quickly and tall?

any tips are appreciated,

tks,

-MC

Old 05-22-05, 08:09 AM
M
will also like tips on hedges/shrubs

should have mentioned in my previous post that it doesn't have to be trees, in fact hedges or shrubs may be better since they grow wide as well. I suspect they may grow faster too but I'd also want them pretty tall.

Also is there any sort of special fertilizer that can speed up the growth process?

tks,

-MC

Old 05-22-05, 08:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: MC

Based upon your area of the country, which breed or type of tree is best. might also be best to ask at the local nurseries. Visit our adertisers/sponsors web sites, http://www.Lowes.com and/or one of the advertisers links below found in the google ads:

http://www.arborday.org/index.cfm

http://www.naturehills.com

Lowes Site Map Page:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=sitemap.html

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-20-05, 03:54 PM
M
thanks for the links

I'll do that,

-MC

Old 12-20-05, 06:30 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
durable and attractive screen planting

A plant we have used on many ocasions in situations similar to yours is the Nellie R Stevens holly. In your location the plant should be very durable and attractive. It has glossy dark green leaves year round and with proper planting and feeding it's a fairly quick grower. These plants are available in many different sizes, the larger sizes can be expensive but if you need immediate screening that's the way to go. Proper bed preparation is key to success with any planting. We roto till the bed area as deep as we can get the tiller to go.. we then cover the bed area with about 6 to 8 inches of ground pine bark ( often called soil conditioner ) and throughly till again to mix the soil and bark together. this adds organic matter to your probably heavy soil and helps to keep the bed area from recompacting over time. This has the bonus effect of elevating the plant bed area for good surface drainage and best appearence. At the outer perimeter of the bed area we dig a shallow trench to define the plant bed and this also gives us a maintainable edge . After planting ( we usually plant hedge plantings on 30 inch centers ) we apply a heavy layer of pine bark or pine needle mulch. Glossy leafed hollys are fond of nitrogen rich plant food. Follow label directions for timing but add about 25% to recommended quantity. First year watering is very important.. a deep soaking a couple of times per week during dry times will go a long way toward insuring the success of your project. Best of luck with your project.

Old 01-10-06, 11:03 PM
M
Here in hedgerow country, Belgium, Thuja atrovirens is very popular as a fast and tall growing hedge tree. A 3' atrovirens will pass your head in two seasons and can be sized just about any size. Uncut, these can grow to full trees over 30 meters. While the occidentalis varieties of the Thuja are generally fuller and shinier, they are slower growing. You might use the term Arborvitae in your area instead of Thuja.

NOTE: The faster your hedge grows, the more you will have to prune it. Some plants (ARBORVITAE and others) will only tolerate moderate pruning...if you wait too long between prunings you will wind up cutting back past the growth curtain into bare tree that will not return. Others, like the Yew, can be cut almost to nothing and will grow back full and vigorously. I favor the arborvitae as a soft textured, dense and private hedge, albeit a bit more difficult to manage for a lifetime pruning wise.

Old 01-11-06, 05:50 AM
K
your best bet is to purchase trees that are already in the 6' range if you want immediate coverage. anything you plant will have to establish a root system before it will grow/spread.
first year it sleeps.
second year it creaps.
third year it leaps.
i heard that here once and it is so true.
by the way, as a rule any "fast" growing tree will be soft wooded, short lived and prone to wind and insect damage.

Old 02-19-06, 11:04 AM
G
Remember what you plant will likely be there a long time

It's important to consider the long term suitability of the plants you select for a given location. In my region ( southeast ) and maybe others many people have chosen the relativlely new evergreen " Leyland cypress " as a screen planting. Yes it is a fast growing plant that will create a privacy screen quickly and thats all well and good but here is the potential problem.. it can easily grow into the 30 to 40 foot range. That means you can end up with vista blocking 40 foot tall green wall. In some cases that may be desireable but most folks desire to have a little privacy beteen close neighbors or to block an objectionable view not to create a stockade. My point is do what it takes to be sure your plant is right for the place you want to plant it.
Go to your local garden center (not the big box stores) or contact your local agricultural extention agent and get some expert advice. Best of luck...38 years in the business and still learning.. greensboro_man

Old 02-21-06, 07:54 PM
S
I would add: since you are planting along a busy street you may need to check with your city for allowed street trees. They will want to steer you away from trees with large amounts of litter from flowers, fruits, seeds, pods, etc....

As others have said, I never buy my landscaping plants from a big box improvement retailer or discount super store. Bedding annuals? Yes. Anything not easily replaced? No. Check the phone book for your local nursery listings, they probably will have a better selection and far superior quality plants. Visit several and look closely at the quality of their plants, some nurserys are no good and you can tell by their ungroomed, badly tended plants. Yes, a good one is more expensive.

I've put all my trees in at the 15 gallon size, I was willing to pay for the extra couple years jump. We "impatient-type" landscapers want to get to our fully grown-in vision as soon as possible I personally wouldn't want to plant anything larger than a 15 gallon tree; hard to handle for one, needs a HUGE hole for two, and worry about root constriction after being pot-bound for so long for three.

I've agonized for weeks over every tree. Right shape, right size, right growth rate, right habits, right bloom color, etc... Rather than looking at this tree or that tree, I wrote down a list of attributes that I wanted my tree to have. Deciduous or no? Flowering or no? Ideal height. Shape. Vigorously self-sowing was a NO. Then I went out and found full-grown specimins of each tree I was considering. I asked myself "can I live with that tree for the next 30 years."

The trees that have made the final cut and found a home in my yard (so far):

Camellia "Nuccio's Bella Rosa"
Jacaranda
Hong Kong Orchid Tree
Koelreuteria Bipinnata "Chinese Flame Tree"
Oleander

As you can see, flowering ended up high on my list every time....

This site helped me a lot:
http://selectree.calpoly.edu/attribute_search.lasso

Old 03-27-06, 05:53 PM
G
Fast growing trees

One general point to remember is that most trees are fairly fast growing when they're young. Correct planting has a big impact on the health and vigor of any tree. Proper feeding can have a huge effect on tree growth. At the O. M. Scotts facility in Ohio there were 2 large trees planted in an open area. The trees had been planted at the same time yet one was nearly twice the size of the other. The only difference was over the years the larger had recieved a double application of their grass fertilizer underneath the spread of it's branches each time the lawn was fed while the smaller had recieved the normal single rate. Simply put, a well fed tree grows significantly faster.

Chosing a healthy young tree, planting it properly, feeding and watering when needed are the keys to sucess with any variety of tree. 38 years in the business and still learning.... Greensboro_man

Old 03-28-06, 09:10 PM
H
I am in Tennessee and Crapmirdals and Hydrangias have grown very fast for me in my area.

The crapmirdals get the height fast but the hydrangias get bushier... pardon my spelling...

Just some thoughts that may also incorporate some color into you fillin. I actually found and old abandoned farm house that had some large ones growing. I found a farmer on a tractor and was given permission to get any I wanted for free. Just a bit of sweat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: