Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Landscape Question. My Dogs Make A Path, How To Cover It?

Old 05-22-05, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a good sized back yard. In the past, we put down sod and it did not work.

Currently, I have fenced off an area, and am growing grass and shrubs inside so that the dogs cannot mees any of it up.

The fenced in area cuts my backyard into different areas. There is the back of the house, then an area that is about as wide as a 42" riding lawnmower can get through, then the fenced area. After the fenced area (which is about 25' across), you have the rest of the yard that the dogs can use the bathroom, we can play ball, etc... There is only one way to get to the back of the yard (for the dogs), and that is to go around the fence. Because of this, there is a path that the dogs made running around the fence. Once in awhile when we play ball, we throw it from our deck, and my dog runs around the fence as well (which is bad fo that rut around the fence as well).

My problem is that I cannot get anything to stay in the ruts that teh dogs make.

Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas for these ruts?

I have tried pine straw and wheat straw (no luck), and now have cypress mulch there (not working either).

I have thought about rocks (but was worried that it would hurt their paws), and pine bark (but I doubt it would work either).

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 09:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: ccualumni

Not much can really be done that I am aware of. Some dogs will run on flag walkway stones and/or walking pathway stones. The flat varities used for walkways. While other dogs will not. May be worth a try laying some of these types of flat walking stones down as a test. If the dogs use them, fine. If dogs will not use them, not really sure anything will work.

No grass I am aware of will survive that type of usage. Might ask at a local nursery, but do not count on finding any breed of grass that will grow under that type of conditions. Maybe an astro turf (artificial) type grass???

Check back on your question several more times. Other members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, suggestions and or helpful information.

Web Site Host & Forums Monitor.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-22-05, 10:14 AM
Thanks. I have considered using boards (treated) to make a walk way where they run with rocks or something else in between them. I just am unsure of what to put down or how it would look. I was thinking of getting some 2x8 treated wood and make about 3' or 2' wide "steps" then surrounding that with bark or mulch or something. I have also considered building a walkway using some type of border that would keep everyuthing in the border. I am just worried that they would run around that anyway.

I may have siad this wrong in the first post, but I am only growing grass where the dogs cannot get to it (in the fenced area). I was hoping to put something else down (like mulch) where the walk/run on. That way, they would not bring in all that dirt with them./

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Old 05-25-05, 06:58 AM
Sorry to bump this, but I am hoping that one of you will have a great idea.

I am at a complete loss.

Any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have a bad feeling that I will have to just replace the ground stuff (whatever I choose), ona regular basis.

Thansk all.

Old 05-31-05, 11:13 PM
There is not really any solution to this problem, except to pave or mulch walk areas to minimize paths occurring.

Old 06-01-05, 03:51 PM
But installing something that the dogs don't like to run on may cause them to run next to it, creating a new rut. I just live with the ruts.

Old 06-01-05, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by chfite
But installing something that the dogs don't like to run on may cause them to run next to it, creating a new rut. I just live with the ruts.
That was a big concern of mine. Maybe I can pave the entire backyard.

Old 06-02-05, 08:44 AM
I know someone who was happy installing astro turf for high traffic areas like you describe. Looks like grass from a distance, the dogs don't mind it, and there is no maintenance.

Old 06-02-05, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by bradleyfitz
I know someone who was happy installing astro turf for high traffic areas like you describe. Looks like grass from a distance, the dogs don't mind it, and there is no maintenance.
Hmm, that is not a bad idea. I will have to look into that.

Thanks