Planting on slope/hill

Old 05-23-05, 07:45 AM
Planting on slope/hill

I am just wondering if someone can advise me on what to plant on a slope /hill... my yard backs onto it and my property line ends at the top... I got the graders to put 1 tier about quarter way up and I grassed up to there, I can reach it with the lawnmower, but beyond that it is to steep.. I want to plant stuff like those flat junipers and I also want to intergrate some stuff like artic blue willows and some shrubs for the top and the bottom of the hill .... My main question is what can I use for a fast growing ground cover, what other types of plants/shrubs are adaptable to pretty dry sunexposed areas... The bare area I am trying to cover is about 12 feet x 50 feet... so ground cover is important to cover alot of it... I like very neat uniform look, nothing too wild...
I am not good at planting and am very inexperienced at it so any advice in types of plants you suggest and planting procedures will be followed...
I also need some suggestions on a small tree to be planted near the front of my house, I like the purple maple trees but I don't want it to eventually grow too big... is there maples that grow a certain height? or what do you suggest... I have lots of questions but I will slowlt get started on dealing with my back hill...
Thanks for any replies
Gord

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-05, 10:08 AM
Not knowing what zone may make some of this wrong.

Ground covers include: confederate jasmine, yellow jasmine, daylilies, liriope, creeping juniper, creeping phlox, lilyturf, sedum, and many grasses. Some ground covers are popular, but quite invasive. These include: ajuga (bugleweed), the periwinkle species(vinca major and minor), and crown vetch.

The tree: how much space do you have for the tree canopy and height considerations. Are there power lines ovehead to be considered?

Hope this helps.

Old 05-24-05, 06:26 PM
I have the whole front yard to decide where to plant it.. I was hoping as close to the house as possible without eventually growing too much into it...
I have a raised bungalow style home, so basically I just need to know what is a good type of tree that doesn't get too big over time.. If I have too I will just plant it more towards the center of the front yard....
Thanks
Gord