Building a cinder block raised bed

Old 05-27-05, 08:09 AM
Building a cinder block raised bed

Hello! We have lots of slate tile that we purchased and I'd like to use it to build a raised bed. Is it possible to build a cinder block retaining wall and then attach this 16" slate tile to it? If so, what adhesive to I use? Moisture issues? Will it settle/move? I think I have to set the cinder block down to the frost line? How deep is that for New Jersey? Off set the placement of the cinder block as I stack it? Also, this raised bed will be supported on the other side by a wooden fence. Should I apply so plastic cover between the added soil and the fence to prevent damage to the wood and soil erosion?Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-05, 07:59 PM
You would need a footer for a cinder block wall to be mortared together. The depth of the footer would be information that your local building inspector would have. This would take it to beneath the frost line in your area.

Cinder blocks don't dry stack well without some reinforcement such as rebar or packing with gravel. I doubt that you will be able to adhere the slate to the wall if the wall is stacked dry. Too much likelihood of movement of the blocks. The offset you mention is more the province of segmented retaining wall blocks that have a lip or other means to lock the blocks together or provide some mechanical link due to pressure from the soil and gravel behind the blocks. A wall built by stacking dry is not typically placed on a footer.

Once the block wall is built, the slate can be applied using mortar in the same fashion as you built the wall.

Something at least on the level with 6 mil plastic should be used to protect the wood from the soil. This will prevent erosion to a certain degree, depending upon the nature of the soil and any grade involved.

Hope this helps.