fungus on trees harmful?

Old 06-08-05, 06:16 AM
fungus on trees harmful?

Hi, I live in New England and have Maple trees in my yard. It was a very wet spring and so far it has been a very hot June. At the base of my maples, there is (what appears to be) some kind of fungus or lichens growing. It is white and puffy and kind of looks like melted marshmallow. Any idea what this is and whether it is harful or benign to the trees?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-05, 10:16 AM
in searching around on the net, i have found what i believe them to be: Mossy Maple Polypore, a type of mushroom. These are occuring around the base of the tree where there is some wounding, so what should I do? Is the tree done for? Can I treat the wood?

Old 06-09-05, 10:03 AM
may have spoke too soon, dunno if this is what it is for sure....but does anyone have any idea what i should do?

Old 06-09-05, 06:10 PM
This shelf mushroom is considered a parasite, since it grows on tree wounds and takes nutrients away from the tree. Fungicides tend not to be very effective for eliminating well-established wood-rotting fungi. Severely affected trees are usually removed and the stump removed to minimize spread of fungus. Older trees typically have some hollowing and rot. You might want to consult with an arborist.

Old 06-10-05, 08:55 AM
def not a mushroom upon further investigation. based on description, arbohrists online saying that it likely a harmless slime mold as a result of putting the mulch down and it being so damp for a month.