Black Knot on Newport Plums

Old 06-13-05, 07:36 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Black Knot on Newport Plums

About a year after I planted 3 Newport Plum trees (for privacy barrier) I discovered black knot. I've been pruning out the diseased branches as I find them (5 years now). I clean the clippers with bleach after every cut so as not to spread the problem. I noticed today the bark had split away from the trunk on one of the trees. The tree is about 6" in diameter. A couple questions.

Am I fighting a losing battle? The trees are now about 15 to 20' and provide the privacy I was looking for. If I'm going to lose them no matter what I do, maybe I should just remove them now and start over with something else.

Anything you can recommend that's similar. I have hawthorne's on the other side of my house, but don't really like them. I'm not looking for a hedge since I plant flowers under the trees. Thanks for your help.

Dick

Oh yes, I leave in upstate NY (adirondack mt area).

Old 06-13-05, 08:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the bark is peeling to expose bare wood, this is a bad sign. I would plan on replacing this tree.

For recommended trees for your application and locale, check with you local agricultural extension service. The information there would be specific to your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: