water in my basement, need help with landscaping

Old 06-15-05, 08:47 PM
weickert
Visiting Guest
water in my basement, need help with landscaping

I'm having a little trouble with landscaping. Next to my house, my wife and I put in about a 7 foot flower bed, however, when it rains, the water runs into my window well right next to the flower bed. I want to landscape it and angle it so the water runs away from my house, but how in the world do I landscape it around my window well? I don't want the blackdirt up to the rim of the basement window well (Maybe I do, but I guess I assumed that would be bad), so how do I run it away from the house so it's not near the window well. In addition, right in front of my window well, I have my AC unit. It's on a slap of concrete and unfortunately the concrete (about 3 square feet) angles back towards the house. I don't have the $$$ to redo that. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-05, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could angle the slope of the bed to direct water away from the house. If the window well needs protection, you might sheathe it with a layer of 6 mil plastic. If the drainage from the concrete slab pools in the middle of this bed, a small drain line from the back of the slab under or through the bed could direct the water away from the house. I ran a length of pvc pipe to route the drain from my air conditioner away from my house.

By the way, the slabs for air conditioner units are often monlithic, manufactured items that can be leveled by shimming them without having any other work done.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-05, 08:17 PM
weickert
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. Maybe you know what to do for this. My basement window well only sticks above ground about 1-2 inches, I don't have much clearance. I'm a little concerned that if I build up my slope, I can't imagine that I'd want to be even with the lip of the window well. Is there such a thing as a window well extension?

Old 06-17-05, 08:10 PM
If this is a metal window well, you should be able to extend it with another one. You could adjust the height by overlapping it when installing it. Put the new one on the outside to keep water out.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-05, 08:22 PM
weickert
Visiting Guest
thanx...you've been a lot of help

Old 06-18-05, 01:30 PM
Window well may need digging out and drain run out into gravel pit in yard. Drain should slope downward away from window well. Then, fill window well with gravel. You can purchase a cover for window well. As indicated, it is possible to extend the height of the well so you can slope soil away from it. Make sure all soil around foundation slopes away from the structure to carry excess water away.

It is possible that the builder used one of those pre-cast concrete slabs for mounting the AC. Perhaps soil settled beneath and tilted the slab back toward house where it directs water down foundation walls. The slab should be leveled or new one poured. If unit is not sitting level, this is not good for the unit.