Smelly Tree

Old 06-20-05, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smelly Tree

I have been around for many years but Saturday I found out the name to a tree that has a horrible smell to it.

The customer told me that it is a Japanese Chestnut tree and when it blooms it looks like long yellow fuzzy worms.

Turns out one of these is in my backyard and I was told it was a walnut tree.

Anyone know exactly what I am talking about or pictures?

I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it. That smell is just gut turning and I never knew what that was linked to. Plenty of those trees around too.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-05, 09:36 PM
As soon as I read 'smelly tree,' I knew what you had. A chestnut. The Chinese chestnut (C. mollissima) grows very well in the southeast with little care, becoming a medium sized tree (40-60') with lustrous green foliage, turning yellow-bronze in fall. Some nuts are produced on solitary trees, but more nuts with cross-pollination. The trees prefer dry, sunny sites. During flowering, the inflorescences produce a pungent, displeasing odor. Folks have described this odor from smelly like everything from cat urine, rotten meat to horse manure and dead fish.

What I did learn was that my parents incorrectly taught me that this was the horse chestnut. I had a neighbor who had one. When I bicycled by when I was a kid the odor was overwhelming when the tree was in bloom. I always thought they called it the horse chestnut because the odor smelled to me like horse manure. The horse chestnuts are not edible by people because they are poisonous, only horses, thus the name. Different tree. Different type of flowers. (Aesculus hippocastanum) http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/sh...&recnum=TS0114

That tree with the catkin flowers is a Chinese Chestnut. Spiny burs contain the nuts. Flowers are erect catkins, borne laterally in leaf axils on current season's growth near the base of distally borne catkins, which are bisexual (polygamomonoecious). Each female flower contains usually 3 free carpels, each of which can develop into nuts. One to three nuts are found within each spiny bur which splits into 2-4 valves at maturity and expose the nuts. Nuts are eaten raw or can be boiled or roasted and used in making candy, stuffing, or ground into flour.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/...nutchinese.htm

Old 06-21-05, 09:34 AM

I swear my computer smells like these things now that I put these pictures on here. YEEEEEEUUUUUCK!

I absolutely cannot stand the smell. Just suprising that it took so many years to figure out what it was.

Thanks for posting on this; you was right on the money on the tree. Those blooms are covered with all kinds of insects too, like flies and lightning bugs.

Old 06-21-05, 09:43 AM
My dad swears it is a Hazelnut tree because they bought the tree as a seedling from the extension office.

I totally disagree because the link you provided is exactly what my pictures show. That is why he will not come in here and look at the link that shows the same thing in the back yard.

I bet anything they tagged the seedling wrong years ago which is very easy to do when most seedlings look the same in the beginning.

Old 06-22-05, 02:07 PM