Help Me Find a Path Solution

Old 06-21-05, 10:15 AM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Help Me Find a Path Solution

Hi everyone. Long time reader (as a guest), just registered today because I have something to ask.

Our house has an alley out back with our carport. So we park back there and then walk to the house. We naturally want a path to walk on for many reasons: so we don't wear a path through the grass, so we don't track in mud on rainy days, looks, so we can shovel it in the winter instead of shoveling through the grass (we live in Iowa), etc.

The only problem is that the back yard has a fairly steep grade down towards the house. I can imagine that this would limit our options. It's also a fairly long distance (40-50 ft), so I'm trying to keep the price reasonable.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-05, 05:44 AM
Let me start by saying that I don't have any snow to deal with here. If you intend to shovel snow from the path, it seems that it will need to be paved with something. Hard surfaces would include: concrete, asphalt, pavers in sand or set on concrete, flagstones of some sort set in the soil or set on concrete. If the surface is not so steep that you cannot walk on it, you can pave it. You could make a hard surface with compacted crusher run, but I doubt that you could shovel snow from it.

The variations in cost among these options would depend upon how much of it you did yourself.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-05, 02:23 PM
is it so sloped that when it's wet or icy, you can slip/slide on it & risk injury? if so, then you need level sections that are stair-stepped, or possibly all steps.

Old 06-24-05, 06:22 AM
ritterpa
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Annette
is it so sloped that when it's wet or icy, you can slip/slide on it & risk injury? if so, then you need level sections that are stair-stepped, or possibly all steps.
That's kind of what I've been thinking. It is quite steep, borderline as to whether or not it would get nasty in the winter. It would probably be ok with some ice melt and/or a little sand. But, I think steps might be the most aesthetically-pleasing option. I just don't know how I'd go about doing them.

Old 06-24-05, 08:54 PM
Along the inexpensive option tract, terracing sections with landscape timbers enclosing a packed material may be worth considering. Make the rise about 7 inches and the run or tread of the step could be a couple of feet or so. All this depends upon the grade.