Watering advice please for grass/bushes/trees?

Old 06-23-05, 09:07 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Watering advice please for grass/bushes/trees?

Hi-

I live in the Chicago suburbs and I have a home with grass, medium to large sized bushes (about 8 feet tall to 2 feet tall), and a few 30-40ft tall green leafy trees. I don't know the "types" of plants any of the above are, as I am pretty landscape ignorant! Anyway, it's getting hot, we're not getting much rain, and the grass is turning brown.

So as far as watering goes, I don't care if my lawn turns brown, as long as it doesn't die. I read somewhere that one only needs to "deep water" their grass once a week in the evening so that the roots develop deep into the soil, but is this true? How does one define "deep watering" in terms of how long should I water an area assuming the typical sprinker that you just stick to the end of a garden hose?

As far as my bushes go, should I water them as much as the grass (once a week for a deep watering) or do they need more care?

As far as the 30-40ft. trees go, should those be watered more frequently than once a week or at all? Lately I've been just putting the end of a garden hose near the trunk of the tree and letting the garden hose run for about 10-15 minutes until the soil is very saturated but not puddling for more than 5 minutes. The trees are extremely expensive to replace so I've been watering them more often as a precaution Any guidance on this?

Sorry for all the quesitons. Thanks for your help in advance!

ualdriver

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-05, 10:36 PM
C
Grass needs an inch of water per week, generally. Place cans around under the area being watered to catch water so that you can measure the amount applied. Don't apply so much water at once that it simply forms puddles and runs off.

Established plants could use water weekly in a drought. I use a tool similar to a shower head to water them so the water does not puddle so fast and start to run off without soaking in. I just watch this to monitor the amount. During a dry spell, I check the moisture content of the soil at root level to see how much apparent watering needs to be done. Mulched beds help prevent evaporation of the water.

Established trees 40 feet tall probably cannot be watered, but will take up water from the surrounding area. This will include the grassy areas being watered otherwise. Most of the feeder roots are near the edge of the canopy and on out to about 150% of the canopy.

If the trees and shrubs have been in the ground for over a year, I would not worry too much about them. They should have rather extensive root systems by now.

Having said that, there are some trees and shrubs that need more watering. Kousa dogwood is one of the trees.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-24-05, 12:50 AM
U
Thanks

Thanks chfite!