Snowball bush blues

Old 07-02-05, 11:29 AM
Wantingtolearn
Visiting Guest
Snowball bush blues

We are purchasing a new house and have a 6ft tall snowball bush in the front of the house. When we first saw the house it was in bloom and looked very nice. Now that the blossoms are gone and on closer inspection all of the leaves look diseased. Is there any way to fix this problem or would it be best to remove the bush? Thanks for the help.

Amanda

Old 07-02-05, 11:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would take one of the leaves to a local Nursery (not Home Center) and ask their opinion. It may be something that can be easily remedied with a chemical or two. Good luck.

Old 07-02-05, 02:33 PM
Wantingtolearn
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the information, that's what I'll do.

Old 07-07-05, 03:51 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may also want to have the soil tested. I can't remember exactly which type of soil helps produce which color, but the soil pH affects the color of the flowers. You can amend the soil with either lime or other amendments to produce the flower color you desire...

Old 07-08-05, 06:21 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bacterial wilt may blight the flower clusters and leaves if you have had heavy rain and hot weather. Worst case scenario is that it can cause severe wilting and root rot. There is no chemical control.

A fungus can cause leaf spots on hydrangea. Powdery mildew causes mold underneath leaves. Leaves may turn brown, purplish brown, or stay green. Young stems and flower stalks become infected and die.

Rust causes rusty brown pustules on leaves, especially underneath, and causes leaves to dry up.

Take some leaf samples to your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for identification of your hydrangea problem and to learn recommended fungicides for the plant in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: