Concrete pavers

Old 07-05-05, 06:21 PM
chukarkid
Visiting Guest
Question Concrete pavers

We've outlined our front yard with river red concrete stones from Home Depot. I think the brand name is Pavestone. Anyway, the bricks have really faded so we wanted to touch them up but were unsure as to what kind of paint to use and color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-05, 06:52 PM
Concrete pavers

Never, ever paint pavers.

You can apply a clear sealer made for pavers that brings back the color. I think it is available in both a gloss or matte finish. Because it is a coating the life is limited and depends on the conditions (ultra violet, moisture, etc.). The red is usually made using a red iron oxide pigment that is very permanent. Just ask anyone with red hands that works with it.

You can also apply a masonry stain. Depending on your area it may be from a masonry supply dealer or a general construction products dealer. Beware of any advice from paint salesmen since their knowledge of something in the ground is usually limited.

You may also contact Pavestone. They have an excellent reputation. I don't know what grade of pavers the retailer specifies from its suppliers. The ASTM standard for pavers is much, much lower than that supplied by the better producers.

Dick

Old 07-05-05, 06:57 PM
chukarkid
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I had considered a stain but havn't been able to locate a product yet. Also, you are correct the pavers are very cheap and get alot of the white frost look fairly quickly. I've tried Pavestone but no response as yet. I'll try again and share any feedback I get. I know Home Depot/Lowes etc. sell alot of the bricks.

Old 07-05-05, 07:59 PM
Concrete pavers

The white surface deposit is called efflorescence. It is a soluable salt that is carried out of the concrete by moisture and is deposited as the moisture evaporates. It is common in all concrete, but it is more noticeable on colored concrete than it is on uncolored concrete. The darker the concrete, the more it shows.

The good news is that it decreases with time and often dissapears completely after all the salts are leeched out.

Dick