calling all landscaping guru's!

Old 07-07-05, 10:53 PM
RobM
Visiting Guest
calling all landscaping guru's!

Hey fellas, heres my dilema

Im having a house built and will be moving in within a few weeks. I want to build a fence asap because i have a dog and like privacy. Problem is that i was told there is no point in doing topsoil/sod in the first year cause the ground can still shift. I was also told when it comes time to do topsoil that the soil has to be packed down approx 4" .

So what do i do with the fence? Do i run the fence boards 4" higher than what the grade is now? Do i run the fence boards to the ground and raise them later?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-05, 06:46 AM
you must have a really unique situation. around here we would smooth and prep the area for proper drainage away from the home, add topsoil if necessary, then plant the seed or sod the lawn.

Old 07-08-05, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by kerry
you must have a really unique situation. around here we would smooth and prep the area for proper drainage away from the home, add topsoil if necessary, then plant the seed or sod the lawn.
agreed - i do not understand how much this would settle - and it would all settl, albeit a tiny bit. the place you need to worry about is near the foundation - this will settle more as the base was dugout and replaced. unless you have a strange situation, maybe a couple hundrend yars of topsoil, you should not have a problem with putting a fence in.