where do/should we put drains?

Old 07-09-05, 04:19 PM
cm6541
Visiting Guest
where do/should we put drains?

I have made a plan of what I would like to do in my backyard, but am not sure if we need drains and if so where to put them. I was wondering if I could get some input...Right side of house is concrete walkway w/mulch beds and about 9x10 concrete slab. Left side will have a gravel walkway with plants/vegetables alongside and a small (4x4) gravel bed at the end for an arch and bench. Take a look.
http://www.geocities.com/sm_un_kee/smallpic.bmp

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you don't currently have drainage problems, then you can plan ahead. Take stock of the lay of the land and plan for swales filled with hardwood mulch to hold water while it percolates into the soil. Consider sloping to direct water where it needs to go. If you install drains, consider 4 inch pvc to route the water to its destination, whether it be a holding area or to simply drain into an appropriate part of the yard. If you install french drains, position them so that they will collect water from the properly sloped areas.

What and how much of this you might do will depend upon your particular needs.

The most obvious area from the diagram will be gutters to keep water from splashing onto the paved area in front and behind the house.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-13-05, 10:17 AM
cm6541
Visiting Guest
Let me ask you this then, we plan on having planter/planting areas on each side of the house with mulch, should we put in a drip system or just regular sprinklers? Please help, my husband and I are first time home owners and have no idea what we need.

Old 07-14-05, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drip or sprinklers. It rather depends upon your watering needs. A drip system can keep everything watered all the time. Watch it with a mulched bed to be sure that it does not become sodden. Once established, most permanent plants don't require frequent watering in addition to the rain.

There are many variations of drip systems. It is also hard to beat the simplicity and applicability of plain old sprinklers and a garden hose.

Sorry that I don't have a clear answer for you. I don't water my beds unless there are new plants in them or there is a prolonged drought. I stay away from high maintenance plants, too. Mulch keeps the moisture fairly constant in the beds. But, I have 15,000 square feet of beds. Watering them would not be trivial. It was less trouble to install 100 cubic yards of mulch.

Hope this helps.