yew roots

Old 07-10-05, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yew roots

i have surface roots that are very visible on my yews that i have had for 20 years. can i cut those roots away or will that kill the plant? my yews are 4 ft. tall .they actually got away from us . i understand there is no way i can take them back to 3' without killing them .is this true? i think it probably is,it would be beyond the buds. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-05, 03:13 PM
You can prune yews heavily into the old wood if needed. The best time to do this is in the spring. If you cut the roots, the plant will suffer and may die.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-11-05, 08:57 PM
Dead, diseased, and broken wood can be pruned out at any time of the year. Yews are able to withstand exceptionally severe pruning into the older wood. Yews tend to be fast-growing and respond well to pruning. Early spring is the best time for pruning but occasional light pruning later in the season may be necessary. The few shoots that make bushes look scraggly can be snipped throughout the growing season.

Last edited by twelvepole; 07-17-05 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 11:51 AM
yew roots

my yew,as i said are about 4' high and that wide.your telling me that i can prune them back to 3' or so high where there is no green foliage and it will live .i can do this next spring. ive been told before that i couldnt cut back any more than where the green sprouts or buds are,which isnt very far.thats why it is still 4' high and wide. no offense to your response ,im just getting too many varyiations on replies. i appreciate all input.thanks very much.

Old 07-17-05, 01:20 PM