putting in pvc pipe to drain water from gutters

Old 07-11-05, 10:11 AM
stevenprojects
Visiting Guest
putting in pvc pipe to drain water from gutters

I am installing a 4inch pvc pipe to drain water from my gutters to a gully. My question is how many downspouts can I connect to my 4 inch pipe. The pipe will be 100 feet from start to finish. There are 4 downspouts, but not sure it would be wise to connect all. Any ideas ?

Steven

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-05, 10:25 AM
to drain water from gutters

It depends on how much long the eave gutters are (area of roof drained).

It can't be calcilated exactly so take a look during the next good rain and try to visualize how much water is accumulated. A 4" smooth pipe will cary a lot of water if there aren't any sharp corners, especially with the head added by the downspouts.

You probably OK if you don't mind a little temporary overflow in a huge storm. It doesn't pay to try to match the best mother nature can give you. If you have a problem in the future you could spit and add a parallel line to the gully.

Dick

Old 07-15-05, 07:02 PM
ms. hamburg
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb more runoff into the gully?

If I had a gully, I sure wouldn't add more water to it. Where I live in NC, gullies have formed in areas where roads have been built, forests have been cut and roofs of buildings and paved areas have added to the impermeable areas of the larger landscape. These gullies deepen over time, and the water table lowers as a result. There are lots of creative ways to use roof runoff. It's called "harvesting" a resource. Think of bog gardens or rain gardens (using native wetland type plantings). If you don't want to get that complicated,the water can simply be directed towards a swale --soil retains more water than anything. On top of the swale, you can plant trees on it to hold even more water. Check out Permaculture on the web for some amazing ideas.