Question about pruning palms and oak

Old 07-14-05, 07:44 AM
Question about pruning palms and oak

We have two stands of very high (20') very thin (3-4" diameter) palm trees on opposite corners of our lot. They are starting to get awkwardly tall and one of our neighbors is potentially getting into a dispute with us regarding our trees on her fence.

Can I cut them to about 6' tall and expect them to produce a head again? I'm not familiar with palms and it seems likely but I'm not sure.

-------------

Also; I have two trees (not sure what they are, maybe oak?) that are about 7' tall and were planted by the previous owner in a horrible spot. They are on either side of the A/C unit and under the roof overhang. The bottom 3' is bare trunk and I believe they were intended to hide the A/C unit but they just make walking around the side of the house difficult.

If I were to cut the top and sides off, would it encourage the tree to fill out more on the bottom? I have a feeling that these will be transplanted to go in place of a large (20' diameter) hibiscus tree that fell over a couple weeks ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 09:21 AM
the trunk of a palm cannot be cut w/o killing the tree, however they can be moved with very little root ball and survive. you will need to stake them until they root enough to stand alone.
as for the oaks[if that is what they are] shouldnt be trimmed like a shrub. they should also be moved, but need as much root ball as you can get to survive.

Old 07-14-05, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the information, it seems as though I will eventually remove the palms and moving the other trees elsewhere.

Here is an example of both trees, I suppose I was off in my height estimate by half My wife is 5'3" so that makes the tallest about 17'.

Was I right on assuming the other trees were oak? Probably not.. I can't believe how fast these trees have grown! I had a hibiscus in the back yard which fell over under its own weight. It went from about 12' diameter to about 20' in a few months and then toppled over. I quite literally was going to prune it but held off because of heavy rain which knocked it down.

Old 07-14-05, 11:48 AM
i cant really see the trees near a/c well enough to say what they are, but they have been shaped so you could probably get away with lowering the tops and maintaining them lower.
the palms look like they have pups growing from the roots. if that is the case, you could cut off the tall trunks and let the pups take over. this would make more of a bush type tree for a few years.
the info above is based on my interpretation of the pics. you may want to get a local nursurymans opinion before you start cutting.