help save my tree....(Transplanting Trees)

Old 07-17-05, 12:13 PM
Exclamation help save my tree....(Transplanting Trees)

I am reposting in this section as it seems more appropriate:

I had to transplant a split leaf maple yesterday, it was either I get it out now or this friend was going to chop it down. It had a huge root system and I lost most of it, but my biggest concern is that most of the bark is damaged as well . It isnít girdled, but there is a lot of damage. Someone said something about vitamin E for the roots, and a paint that replaces bark?? Are these claims true? Is there anything that can be done to help it survive? I have never done a bark graft but will certainly attempt if that is what it takes, thank you so much

can I graft alder bark to it? I have alders around that I don't care for...

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-05, 12:33 PM
If you lost most of the root system, chances are the tree will not survive. Too, this is not the best time of year to transplant trees.

http://www.tlcfortrees.info/planting%20depth.htm

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...ees/f1147w.htm

Trim around the wounds on bark to sound tissue on each side. Use a sharp knife and do not cut any deeper than necessary. The top and bottom of the wounds should be rounded instead of forming a sharp point. This allows for movement of moisture and nutrients around the damage area.

If the damaged area is less than 25 percent of the circumference of the trunk, the wound should gradually heal over and no permanent injury should result. If damage involves more than 50 percent of the circumference, the tree may become stressed, lose vigor and decline, and branches may die.

If tree is properly pruned, wounds trimmed, and you keep tree watered and fertilized, it may survive. When spring comes, it will be apparent if the tree is going to recover.