Grading Around English Basement

Old 07-18-05, 03:17 PM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
Grading Around English Basement

Hi,

We just moved into a new house last Nov. When the snow started thawing this spring we noticed water leaking into our basement on the side of the house. After looking outside the problem was obvious. The dirt/lawn was above the foundation line so water was leaking in between the wood frame and foundation. It's tricky since it's an English basement. The foundation line drops down to accommodate the English basement (windows in back) so it's pretty low. It's on this low part that we have the problem.

I had called a landscaping place to get an estimate to regrade that side. Long story short, there was a misunderstanding and just today they told me they'd have to dig down 6-8 inches to get below the foundation line, but in doing that, the slope of the remaining land, say 8-10 feet out, would be towards my house (this is on the side). This would result in water just collecting there causing more water issues.

I could attach a picture if that would help. I'm at a loss for what to do about this. The grading is basically all screwed up on that side of the house, but it's not like we can touch the neighbor's yard. I was wondering if putting a rock/retaining wall in at the drop in the foundation line would help? Or digging that all out and filling it with some kind of rocks that would allow water to just drain through?

Thanks!
Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 06:38 PM
The usual thoughts come to mind: gutters, grading elsewhere to prevent the water getting there initially, or grading away from the house some and leaving a drain line in the resultant depression between the house and the remainder of the yard. You could use a french drain in this depression or grade the soil to carry the water away.

Old 07-20-05, 11:32 PM
For significant changes in grading around a home, a landscape engineer is recommended. Landscape engineers are specially trained to address the issues of grading, slope and runoff.

Old 07-21-05, 08:25 AM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
Thanks! How would I go about finding a good landscape engineer? There are so many landscaping companies out there!

Old 07-22-05, 12:27 AM
Check yellow pages for landscaping engineer. Call landscaping companies to see if they have a landscaping engineer on staff.