Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

What options are available instead of connecting downspouts to underground tile?

What options are available instead of connecting downspouts to underground tile?

Old 07-27-05, 08:10 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I found that it would cost more than I would like to spend ($1000) to connect the 4 downspouts on a 70' x 40' outbuilding to a drain tile.

Are there any options that I have to disperse or divert the rain water besides connecting a plastic drain tile to the downspout and routing the tile over the ground to place to let the water drain?

Two of the downspouts can probably be made, with above-ground tile, to drain to an area that won't affect driveways or foundations. But the water from the two other downspouts, on the other side of the building (ground level is also higher here), flows across the rock drives and walkways and putting an above-ground tile across the top of the driveway wouldn't be very convenient.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-05, 08:28 AM
C
You could attach drain pipe on the other side and run it around the building to the other convenient place. If the ground is higher there, having drainage slope should not be a problem. Some strategic shrubs could hide it.

If space permits, you could dig a mulch lagoon for the drains. A hole 2 - 3 feet across and 24 inches deep filled with hardwood mulch will hold the water until it percolates away and provide a stable surface for walking. This can be larger or smaller as needs dictate. I use these to handle water on my flat lot.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-27-05, 08:40 AM
Not knowing the layout there, I have seen those plastic "roll-out" water diverters used. They automatically roll out when it rains and the water is dispersed through pinholes. When the rain stops, they roll back up. Not sure of all the particulars on these and I know they won't go around a corner. They merely extend straight out. Good luck.

Old 07-27-05, 04:14 PM
I
Originally Posted by chfite
You could attach drain pipe on the other side and run it around the building to the other convenient place. If the ground is higher there, having drainage slope should not be a problem. Some strategic shrubs could hide it.

If space permits, you could dig a mulch lagoon for the drains. A hole 2 - 3 feet across and 24 inches deep filled with hardwood mulch will hold the water until it percolates away and provide a stable surface for walking. This can be larger or smaller as needs dictate. I use these to handle water on my flat lot.

Hope this helps.
I like your first idea but running the drain pipe around the building would mean having the drain tile cross over the driveways--which I would rather not do.

I'll definitely give consideration to the mulch lagoon.

Thanks.

Last edited by iowa; 07-27-05 at 04:14 PM. Reason: can't spell "the" correctly
Old 07-28-05, 07:49 AM
I
It was pointed out to me, and I have to agree, that a mulch lagoon the size you described would fill up in less than 10 minutes in a heavy rain around here--I realize water would percolate away as it filled up but after the ground became saturated I would probably have the same 'ponding' that occurs now).

Hmmm....