New Fruit Tree / Seattle / Full Sun?

Old 07-30-05, 12:40 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Fruit Tree / Seattle / Full Sun?

We recently purchased a house in the Seattle area.
Would like to put a fruit tree in the corner of the yard.

The yard has a rather steep slope (3-4 feet over ~15 feet). Right at the top of the slope is a ~3 foot wide section where it levels off, and then hits our fence.

This spot is in the full sun, pretty much all day long.

The grass in this spot doesn't do to well, both due to the heat and I imagine lack of water as it drains down the slope.

Looking for suggestions on fruit trees, that would do well in this specific spot.
Prefer something like cherries, or possibly plums. Hope to avoide apples.
Ideally, it would be self-sufficient, as in I don't need to water it...

Any chance of something like that?

Also, are there any major difference in the hardiness of specific types of trees in the same general species? Plum XXX vs. Plum XXY, and Dwarf XXX vs. regular XXX, etc?

Old 07-30-05, 01:25 PM
This is one of those questions that has too much local dependency to be answered here. I would contact your local agricultural extention office for the info you need. If you do not have one near, use a local Garden Center & Nursery (NOT a big box store). Varieties vary from climate to climate. You spoke of apples. When I lived in Florida, there was only one variety of apple tree that would grow. Cherry trees, not at all. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-30-05, 10:39 PM
T
If soil is too dry and/or too poor to grow grass, then likely a fruit tree, which needs adequate, moisture would have difficulty surviving in your chosen spot.

You will need to select varieties that are suited to your climate and growing season. Fireblight resistance is important if you chool apples or pears. The site should be one that is protected from wind and soil should be loamy and well-drained.

Most fruits won't set fruit with their own pollen. If planting only one fruit tree, it should be one that sets its fruit with its own pollen. Early spring planting is recommended using dormant trees.

As indicated, consult with your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent about what fruit tree would best survive your soil and growing conditions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: