Getting rid of grass...

Old 07-30-05, 11:32 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting rid of grass...

I am going to take on a landscaping project next spring which will call for the removal of "a lot" of grass. The area is aprox. 180' x 30'. I was planning on renting a sod cutter to do the removal but I really don't want to deal with all of the sod afterwards (I have no use for it).

Is there a product that I could apply this fall that will essentially kill the grass? I could then till the soil (and dead grass) and cover with new top soil. Would such a product inhibit the growth of new plants in the spring?

I also would like to clear an area of grass to put a swingset. I plan on laying down a layer of mulch as a safety precaution. What materials should I use (if any) to prevent weeds from coming up through the mulch?

Thanks in advance for you help!!

Old 08-01-05, 07:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A non-selective herbicide will kill grass and weeds in desired areas. Repeat applications may be necessary. This should be done prior to adding new top soil. If planning on re-establishing the lawn a soil sample is recommended after you work in the new top soil in order to determine what additional amendments should made to the soil. Note that additional topsoil should not direct water toward your home or your neighbors. In early spring, a pre-emergent herbicide can be applied to prevent weeds from appearing in lawn.

Non-selective herbicide can be used to kill grass in playground area. Cover with landscape cloth before mulching.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: