Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

Help identifying a particular shrub/tree, and propogate it?

Old 08-05-05, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There are some bushes/trees I see on the way to work that I really like. In early Summer, they bloomed nicely and for a long time. I have NO IDEA what they are. They are actually planted at a fenced in transformer station, so there is no one to ask. I'm not sure how to go about finding out what it is, although I've looked through some books, unsuccessfully, to identify them. Is there a good way to do this?

Also, could I take a cutting from it to try to grow one of my own? I've never tried that before with a bush/tree.

If this sounds familiar:
It's similar in size to a 4 year old crepe myrtle (10'?), 3' trunk then branches going up and curved, very rounded on shape, with stalks of many small purple blooms, grouped on a straight up stalk at the tips of the branches when blooming. The leaves are about 6" blades, fairly thin, very symetrical blades layout on the branches.
I don't know if that qualifies as a tree or bush, I'm assuming tree though.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-05, 08:20 AM
Bill, you may want to call the power company that owns or uses the transformer station and ask them or ask who does their landscaping. One of the experts here may know what it is from your description. Good luck.

Old 08-05-05, 09:10 AM
C
What I've seen used alot lately in these applications is the flowering pear "Bradford' which meets your breif description.

Old 08-05-05, 09:45 AM
I don't think there's any way I could get that info from Entergy. I can barely get them out to change street light bulbs.

I looked up that flowering pear bradford. That's the right shape, but not it. Those are clusters of small buds, but too small and rounded clusters. These were vertical stalks and straight up, about 8" long. Also, the leaves are long thin blades, fairly dark green. Wish I could describe it better.

Is there a good, general way of growing one from a cutting of some sort?

Old 08-05-05, 10:30 AM
You can grow the plant from a cutting,however many are very tempermental when going from the intial rooting stage to the hardening off stage so you can plant outside. If you decide to try this and need help on how just ask.

As far as what it is. Take a cutting with the flower intact. Place the base of this cutting in a wet paper towel and keep it cool and out of direct sunlight. Take this prepared cutting to your local county agricutural extension or local nursery(not the big box store) and they can identify it. You can also take a picture of said plant and post a link to your album here and we can TRY to identify it. If you need help with this just ask.

Good luck

Old 08-05-05, 03:57 PM
Ok, well, my memory combined 2 plants into 1.

I did make some cuttings, with fresh growth on the end and also some suckers from the 2nd plant. I could use any help on getting started growing them from these.

First, here's both bushes together:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...bothplants.jpg

Bush #1 (I had the buds described wrong, that was on the 2nd bush)
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ots/plana1.jpg
up close:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ts/planta2.jpg

Bush #2
Interesting very strong herb-type smell when I cut it. Like strong parsley scent? Much woodier than the other one. This one bloomed early summer and had the vertical clusters of blooms at the end of the branches. I got a picture of the end of the branches in the 2nd pic, picture very colorful purple blooms.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ts/plantb1.jpg
Up close of former blooms:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ts/plantb2.jpg

Know what these are?

Old 08-05-05, 04:43 PM
The bush in the first picture looks suspiciously like an Oleander. These are extremly poisonous and should not be planted where young childern or pets might injest them. Here is a couple links on oleander plants and their warnings.

http://www.toddshikingguide.com/FloraFauna/Flora65.htm

http://www.floridata.com/ref/N/nerium.cfm

As far as the other one, I have no idea of its name. It has similar leaves and may be of the same family.

The Oleander is a very pretty bush/shrub/tree but it can be as deadly as it is pretty.

Will keep looking for the name of the 2nd shrub.

If you still wish to propagate this first bush let me know.

Old 08-05-05, 05:07 PM
Doing a little more searching, that Oleander looks exactly like it. Going to have to chunk that in the trash unfortunately.

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/~forage/libra...ous/page10.htm

Looks just like it. Not worth the risk.

Old 08-07-05, 12:34 PM
I tossed the oleander, but the other one. I have planted 2 suckers, about 6" high with about a 6" length of the root they grew out of, in some potting mix and also the branch cuttings. Should I put only the new, green growth in the soil, or the whole thing? I've read that some plants need some powdered hormone to work this way, is that really necessary? I can get more cuttings if needed.

Old 08-07-05, 06:27 PM
If the off-shoot you got has roots then by all means plant it as you would any other plant.
The powdered hormone is used when you have a cutting without roots. These cuttings need to be taken from new growth if possible.
Use a 4"pot filled with wet but not dripping potting soil.

Cut the stem end off approx 1/4 inch. Make this cut at a 45 degree angle. Remove all but 4 or 5 leaves. Dip the cut end into water to wet and then dip into rooting hormone. Use a stick to make a hole in the potting soil and place the treated stem into the hole.Use your fingers to tamp the soil around the stem to remove air pockets,taking care not to disturb the rooting hormone. Cover with a 3 liter soda/pop bottle that has the bottom removed.Remove the lid and set in a warm place out of direct sunlight. It may take a month or more to set roots and the cutting should not be disturbed until then unless absolutely necessary. If the bottle is not containing enough humidity you can mist the cutting with a fine spray from a spray bottle.
You will know you have enough roots to sustain the cutting when they start coming out the bottom of the pot.
At this time you will have to decrease the humidity to harden off the cutting. This will allow it to survive in the outside environment,which in this case is less humid than the terrarium conditions it is presently growing in.
You can place a couple of small sticks under the bottle to raise it SLIGHTLY. This will allow a bit more air flow in the bottle thus drying it a bit. If the plant shows any type of stress, increase the humidity and try again later.
Because of the time of the year you are attempting this rooting, I would not plant outdoors until next spring, AFTER all danger of frost has past. You can repot your ned plant as it outgrows its present pot as needed after hardening off.

All of this DOES NOT have to be done with the rooted off-shoots you got.. This only pertains to the cuttings without roots.
Good luck

Any website for rooting roses will give you the same information contained above but may be written better(easier to understand) and have pictures.

Old 08-07-05, 08:58 PM
Great info, thanks. I'll probably go back and find a few other shoots to hedge my bets, but I think I'll experiment with the cuttings too, just for the heck of it.