Hibiscus in Oregon?

Old 08-09-05, 07:09 PM
MoniqueEstelle
Visiting Guest
Hibiscus in Oregon?

I am falling in love...with Hibiscus flowers!
I live in Oregon (Willammette valley). Will Hibiscus plants survive/thrive here?

ME

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-05, 12:17 PM
All I can contribute is that I'm in MS and I killed 3 of them last winter, 1 was several years old. Wrapping them in cold weather wasn't enough, and it was barely 32*.If you do try them, keep them in pots and bring them in at the first hint of cold weather.

Old 08-10-05, 01:51 PM
not sure about oregon, but here in texas the hardy hibiscus survive as a perennial. the top growth freezes back to the ground. we cut them off a little above ground and they come back larger every year,
the tropical hibiscus freeze out and do not come back. i had a hardy in a pot one time and left it out all winter with temps hitting the upper teens a few times and it came back. you would have better luck if it were in the ground and you mulched it pretty heavy for the winter months. i would give a hardy a try.

Old 08-11-05, 09:34 AM
MoniqueEstelle
Visiting Guest
So which varieties are "hardy" and which are "tropical?" Will it say on the tag?

Old 08-11-05, 10:46 AM
it should say on the tag, but the tropicals have shinny dark leaves. the tropicals tend to have dull lighter green leaves.

Old 08-22-05, 09:34 AM
MoniqueEstelle
Visiting Guest
Which have shiny leaves, the tropical or the hardy? It says "tropical" for both.

Old 08-22-05, 12:03 PM
sorry, the hardies are dull and tropicals are shinny.