Allan Block vs Pisa Block

Old 08-12-05, 12:44 PM
Dimples
Visiting Guest

I hope I am posting in the right place. My husband and I are taking out a lot of junipers from the front of our house. In place, we are going to put in a planter. We are going to have a professional do it so it looks better and is done properly (hopefully). We have had a number of different quotes and some use Allan Block and some use Pisa Block. We have been told Allan Blocks holds up better and there are more problems with Pisa Blocks. Has anyone had any experiences that they can share? The planter is going to be approximately 15" - 20" high and will be about 38' long. I have been told that Pisa Blocks will heave more and won't look good after awhile. The blocks will start around our mugo pine and then curve in towards the house and then snake along to the end of the property. Around the mugo pine it won't be as high and then it will get higher when the planter gets past the mugo.

Thanks,

Marie

Last edited by Dimples; 08-12-05 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Should be inches and not feet
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-05, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am assuming you mean 15" to 20" high and not 15' to 20' high.

Between the two products, I don't think there would be no difference in heaving. The are both gravity walls if they are less than 4 feet or so high and the heaving would depend on the soil and drainage, not the block design.

I personally have a preference for Allan Block because I am aware of the staff, support and experience world-wide.

Dick

P.S. - It could easily be 15' to 20'. I think I saw an Allan Block over 30 feet high.

Old 08-12-05, 04:29 PM
Dimples
Visiting Guest
Dick,

Thanks for your reply. You are right.....it was inches and I guess I didn't hold down the shift key. I have changed it to inches.

Most of our quotes have been for Pisa block and the company who quoted on Allan Block said Pisa block isn't as good and wouldn't be as stable. They said because the Allan Block is hollow.....it is better. I thought I would post to try and get an opinion from someone who didn't have a financial interest.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply and let me know.

Marie

Old 08-13-05, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

For a wall of your low height either would be adequate. If you were going to build an engineered wall 20' feet high with soil reinforcing mesh, I would definitely go with Allan Block.

I have seen hollow block with the cores filled with crushed rock to give beeter strength than just relying on the molded shear key, but that is not necessary for a low wall.

The installation and drainage from behind the wall is important.

Dick