Pathway material - best choices?

Old 08-22-05, 08:47 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need to add a surface to about 800 sq. ft. (both pathway and patio spaces) of outdoor area, either some type of compacted crushed rock or paver type of stone. The area is probably to irregular for cement type pavers. What materials are generally considered cost-effective yet, hopefully, attractive. I suppose 1/4-minus would be cheapest but I'm hoping there's some type of material that isn't too much more expensive yet looks better. I'd also appreciate any recommendations on a natural paver stone.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 08-23-05, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

For a small, irregular area a conventional paver application would be costly and difficult. One option, if you have a good natural base, would be pavers or stone set on the base with a soil and vegitation (grass, moss, etc.) between. This is not suited for heavy use or traffic, but gives a nutural appearance at low cost.

Your economical stone material choices are going to be limited to local materials. Go to a local landscape outlet and see what the options are.

Most materials that compact well don't look too pretty after they are densely packed. You may find a combination of a base material you could use with a another more pleasing material over the top.

There are some exotic and expensive open draining materials/system, but they are out of sight costwise.

Dick

Old 08-23-05, 03:06 PM
coffeecraver
Visiting Guest
Terra Stone would be a great choice,it is colorfull and using the right size will keep it in place

http://peteroseinc.com/appphotos/gra.../Terra_JPG.htm

To calculate the amount needed follow this link
http://www.atstecks.com/stone.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: