Soil Around Base of Tree - Burying 2'

Old 08-04-05, 08:31 PM
bigdisk
Visiting Guest
Soil Around Base of Tree - Burying 2'

I have 2 mature trees that are about 50-60 feet tall. I want to regrade part of my yard, but this will result in these two trees having about 2' of soil up around them.

Is this guaranteed to kill an old tree like this, or will they survive. They are kind of lousy, dirty trees so it's not a huge loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-05, 09:12 PM
Changing grade and filling around tree

To fill two feet up on tree trunks will kill them. When filling around trees it is best to build a well around them to keep soil off bark.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...ee_damage.html

Old 08-04-05, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
If you're committed to the additional dirt and not the trees, I would take the trees down first. Otherwise, you might end up having to regrade after the trees die & you then have them removed.

Old 08-05-05, 07:24 PM
Moreover, dead trees are more expensive to remove than live ones are.

Old 08-20-05, 04:25 AM
coffeecraver
Visiting Guest
Smothering Roots by Adding Soil. Most people are surprised to learn that 90 percent of the fine roots that absorb water and minerals are in the upper 6 to 12 inches of soil. Roots require space, air, and water. Roots grow best where these requirements are met, which is usually near the soil surface. Piling soil over the root system or increasing the grade smothers the roots. It takes only a few inches of added soil to kill a sensitive mature tree.

Good Luck

Certified Arborist
Certified Horticulturist

Business names not permitted in posts.

Old 08-22-05, 07:27 AM
You might consider adding another material over top of the roots which will allow them to breath. Maybe a mulch of some kind...