Two watering zones not turning on

Old 08-24-05, 11:06 PM

Have noticed that an area of my lawn is turning brown so I manually ran the controller and found out two stations were not turning on. But when I open the valve the station turns on. What could be the problem? Is it wiring or a valve solenoid problem? How do I check?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-05, 07:16 AM
lgf
Visiting Guest

Most likely it could be one of three things.........You either have a defective controller, a broken wire somewhere in between the controller and the valve or the valve solenoid is defective. What you should do is check to see if you are getting a reading at the valve solenoid with a low voltage meter. Have someone manually start the zone that is not working while you check for a reading at the valve. If you get activity there on the meter, most likely the valve solenoid is bad (usually they are rusty) With most valve manufacturers a solenoid can be purchased separately from the valve and you will not need to replace the whole valve. Bleed the valve too just in case air is in the line.

If you do not get a reading at the valve, check the wiring between the valve and the controller to make sure you have a proper connection. In addition, you might also try this little trick. Shut your system down like you would do for winter closeup and blow your lines out with air. Then, restart the system and check manually to see if the problem is gone. I don't think this is the answer in this case but rather an electrical one.

Old 08-26-05, 07:41 AM
check the wire splices at the valves first. some people dont use the grease filled d.b.y.'s to make the splice and even if they did, some times moisture gets in and grounds them out. otherwise use the info above.

Old 09-10-05, 10:55 AM
Stations Turning on

Sorry about the delay in replying but here's the update. I replaced the solenoid, no go. Fortunately, there were two unused wires. So I swapped them with the old one and presto - it worked. There was a break in the wires - the gopher did it?