Drainage

Old 08-30-05, 01:07 PM
DIY Warrior
Visiting Guest
Drainage

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, I couldn't find anything that really fit. Anyway, my neighbor hired some laborers to replace a wooden retaining wall between our properties. They were not installing drainage until I said that it needed it. I explained that I had some professional drainage done and they laid down a drainage blanket, gravel, 4" drainage pipe (holes down), gravel, and then closed the blanket around the gravel and pipe.

I went outside and they laid the 4" drain pipe (holes up) and encased the pipe in tight fitting fabric, like a sock. They plan on covering this with dirt, not gravel.

My concerns are: shouldn't the holes of the pipe be down (they installed three clean-outs so the clean-outs would have to be refitted instead of simply turning the pipe); and shouldn't the fabric encased pipe still be surrounded with gravel and not dirt?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-05, 07:21 PM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
First of all you are a good friend to help them out.
I plan on using the perforated drain pipe which has slots all around it. I've heard that if you use the pipe your referring to then the holes are suppose to be facing downward. I don't know which one is better but probably both serve the same purpose.
I do plan on wrapping my drain pipe in the fabric sock and back filling with pea gravel all the way to the top except the 1' to 2' of dirt covering the back fill.
If it was me I would definitely have some gravel backfill of some kind over the drain pipe. I would also lay down a weed/water filter fabric of some kind between the dirt and the gravel.
Good luck.

Old 08-30-05, 07:43 PM
Mudball
Visiting Guest
Also check this out
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...s/7051-04.html
The only exception to this diagram for me is my drainage pipe will be on the footer next to the wall. I have heard from two construction people that have had experience digging up around basements and crawl spaces and have found that some drainage systems have failed some how and and started to have water cut out the dirt back fill around the bottom of and around the footer. But if you should attempt this method that I mentioned then seriously consider a dimpled membrane against the wall extending down to the drain pipe at minimum.