Aeration

Old 10-28-05, 10:51 AM
m_spart
Visiting Guest
Question Aeration

Hi All!
I would like to do aeration on my lawn and have couple questions because it will be my first time ever.
1. Is it not to late to do it? Temperature drops at night to 40 and during the day it's around 55.
2. I have some leafs on my back yard. Is it bad for aeration?
3. I have a lot of shade there and grass not growing well. What king of fertilizer I should use? Is fertilization must be done before or after aeration?
Thank you for your advice.

Regards,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The type of grass determines when to aerate. Cool season grasses like KY bluegrass are best aerated in the early fall before leaves fall and when grass is less likely to be stressed by heat and has begun to actively grow again. It takes about four weeks for plants to recuperate, so aerating should be followed by at least four weeks of growing time. Warm season grass like zoysia and St. Augstine are best aerated in late spring and summer during active growth. Aerate when temperate is mild and soil damp (not wet) and during times of active growth.

Grass will not germinate if soil temperature is 50. It does much better when temperature is around 65.

Your Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent can help you with identification of the type of grass you have, the recommended seed for your area, lawn and maintenance schedule, and soil test.

A soil test should be done to determine what amendments need to be made to your lawn. Grass in shaded areas beneath trees is usually a challenge to grow because it has to compete with tree roots for moisture and nutrients. Seeding is best done in early fall after aeration so seedlings can develop strong roots before cold weather. Fertilizing for cool season grasses is best done in fall and spring, and for warm season grasses in late spring. Avoid weed & feed fertilizers with new seeding. Wait at least two weeks after applying weed and feed to aerate. This gives the fertilizer time to work and grass time to fill in where there were weeds.