Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor
Reload this Page >

How do I fix this leaning tree after what Wilma did to it?

Old 10-29-05, 07:22 PM

I have an oriental fruit tree, called "Longan"? it's about 15 to 18 feet tall, and many trees in my neighborhood fell after Wilma, it stood up. I was happy that it did not snap (the metal light pole ten feet from it snapped in half!).

But when I inspected it real close, I can see that it is now leaning a little bit. Also as I walked on one side, the soil is very soft and loose, as if the root has been pulled up a bit.

How do I fix this? If I ignore it it probably will grow until the next storm and that's it. Is there a way to "right" it? The trunk is about 12 inches in diameter.

MC

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-05, 04:27 AM
Group Moderator
Get it straightened up and then support it with a couple of 2x4's angled in toward the trunk until the roots can take hold again. If it needs to be pulled upright you can either use a come-along or call one of your local towing companies to see if they will winch it upright [we pulled a lot of trees back to vertical after Charley last year].

Old 10-30-05, 08:29 AM
I can't think of a way to straighten it. This is a picture of what the situation is:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-...reeleaning.JPG

The tree is near the corner of a fenced area. I added some red dashes to show where the root is coming up...and the green arrows showing how it is leaning.

I need to push it in the opposite direction. I cannot use a car or truck inside the fence as cars cannot access that area. To it's left is a swimming pool and another tree.

I along with two other neigbors tried pushing it by hand, didn't yield at all.

I outlined the fences in two colors. The brown outlined side butts up against my neighbor, who has a pool on the other side, so can't pull from there. Otherwise that would be the right direction to pull.

On the other side of the blue fence is a back alley wide enough for cars. This is where they come pick up garbage. I can get a truck in there to pull using a rope? But it will be pulling at an angle instead. Also, the main truck is lower than the fence where I can apply leverage, so may be pulling will mess up the fence.

Is this tree caught between "a pool and a fence"? I can see no good solution...

MC

Old 10-30-05, 08:57 AM
To pull it back upright you could hammer a rod down into the ground right at the corner of the fence and use a come-along to pull the tree back up.

Might work.