I Want To Build A Multi Tiered Retaining Wall

Old 11-19-05, 06:31 AM
COREY HALLBERG
Visiting Guest
I Want To Build A Multi Tiered Retaining Wall

I Have A Hill In My Yard With An Incline That Is About The Same Angle As This \ Back Slash And Is About Ten Feet High I Want To Build A Retaining Wall That Starts At Four Feet Tall The Whole Distance Then Tiers Back Three Feet And Starts Another Wall Three Feet High And Again Tiers Back Three Feet Starting The Last Three Foot Wall (basically A Giant Pair Of Steps). I Have Been Tolg I Should Start With The Top Wall And Cut A Trench Into The Hill And Then Move Down. This Doesnt Make Sense To Me Even Though It Was Told To Me By Someone Who Does This For A Living. Where Do I Begin?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-05, 09:24 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Other than ease of construction, I don't see that it would matter whether you started with the topmost wall or the bottom. It would seem easier to start from the bottom. Either way, you will be moving fill over a wall or two. The difference will be moving it up or down.

Old 12-17-05, 06:57 PM
lawnpoor
Visiting Guest
The reason you start at the top

True ... it doesn't really matter, but if you start at the top you are not crawling around or over the first wall as you build the second. Makes the job a lot easier on the hips.

LP

Old 12-18-05, 09:18 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
think long and hard

In my experience ( 37 years landcsape designer/ contractor ) I have found that it is often possible to stabilize even very steep slopes with the correct type plants. Retaining walls are expensive and difficult to build and are often overly ' busy '' from a design standpoint. I dont know where you live but here in NC we often use horizontal growing junipers blended with other ground hugging plants with interesting color or texture contrast. On steep slopes we use a heavy layer of pine needle mulch as it resist washing down the hill quite well. On one large commercial project we were able to save our client over $30,000 by eliminating three large retaing walls. Best of luck with your project.