Shrub Removal

Old 11-26-05, 05:30 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Shrub Removal

I have MANY overgrown, very untended shrubs of various kinds (other than a couple of holly bushes, no clue what they are) around my yard. I want to pull them all out and start over with new landscaping. Is there any big secret to getting the bushes out of the ground? Me and the shovel don't seem to be making much progress, so I thought I would see if you guys have any "secrets".

Thanks for all of your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-05, 06:41 PM
T
You can cut down shrubs and plant around dead stumps and roots if you have room for digging new planting holes. If you run into a root, you can saw it off and remove it. It takes stumps several years to rot. It's possible to hack out enough to plant around. Treating stumps with stump rot can expedite decay as can covering with soil. Or, you can dig out roots, chopping, sawing, and digging as you go. Not an easy job. Soil needs to be dug to expose roots and hand held pruning saw or small chain saw can be used. Unless you've excavated enough dirt away from the roots, you will likely get dirt in the chain saw. Once you've severed enough roots around and beneath shrub, you should be able to pry it out.

Old 11-28-05, 06:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I think the easiest way is to tie a chain around the base of the shrub and pull it out with a truck.

Old 11-28-05, 07:32 AM
K
why dont you trim these shrubs down to the desired hieght and give them a season to fill out? you might find you like them and save some money and alot of hard work.