Best way to measure grade

Old 12-13-05, 08:22 AM
manco
Visiting Guest
Best way to measure grade

Landscaping around my house to keep water out of the crawl space. Because of the terrain, I am cutting a shallow ditch about 6'' deep and 10' wide down the length of the house, then turning it up the side of the house. The ditch will be dug about 6'' to 1' below the foundation line of the house. I'll need to make sure the grade of the ditch allows for water flow AND have a positive grade from the house to the ditch. I will also need to make sure the ditch is the correct depth with respect to the home. This will possibly be my second attempt to do this, and I need to know a good way to ensure there aren't any spots in this project that may collect water...This specific area, about 60-70 feet long along the back and side of the home, will be handling a considerable amount of runoff. It "appears" to be a straightforward and simple job (no pipes, roots, easy ground), but I've been quoted more than $3,000 from landscapers. I think that's way too high. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Old 12-13-05, 09:21 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i would rent or borrow a transit level. ask a friend to be your rod man and shoot it as you go. that would be the most accurate way to insure you have "fall". keep in mind that if it is an open "natural" ditch, it will need to be cleaned out occasionally due to debris settling in the ditch. a more permanent solution might be to install pipe and put in multiple catch basins.

Old 12-13-05, 09:48 AM
manco
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I'm curious about the catch basins - what would this involve, and where would be the key locations to have them?

Old 12-14-05, 05:46 AM
K
catch basins come in several sizes and are usually round or sguare. i was thinking of 12"x12" square. they are used in the low [collection] areas along drainage lines and or used in series along long runs of pipe. if perforated pipe is used in a french type drain, catch basins help to get the water in the pipe faster soo it can run off and the pipe will slowly absorb the casual water and drain it away. it is difficult to explain, but a simple concept.
obviously water moves faster in an open ditch, but the ditch will need regular mainanence to keep it functioning properly.

Old 01-14-06, 10:17 PM
drainage

you can also go to your local hardware store and buy 3" pipe with the holes on it , dig the trench, make sure you have fall before putting the pipes down,
( run water on it ) then set the pipe with the holes up and fill with gravel big enough ( 3/4 " should be fine ) so you dont clog the holes.
re-test by running water in the pipes again.
pipe is very inexpensive about $ 5.00 per 10 foot section.

Old 01-15-06, 05:13 AM
K
the ridgid pipe discussed above should be installed with the holes down i.m.o. flex a.d.s. pipe is easier to handle and is perforrated all the way around so there is no was to get it wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: