retaining wall advice

Old 12-13-05, 07:06 PM
ccarruth
Visiting Guest
retaining wall advice

Have large backyard, with one side (120') having messed up drainage (bad contractor work). Has very steep drop toward last third and inconcisistent depth/slope along entire fence line.

Currently have 6x6 landscape timbers serving as retaining wall, but they are too low. Need 2' retaining wall all the way down the side. Only top will be seen. Plan to cutoff fence and put on top of wall.

Concrete too expensive, stone too exxpense, wood(timers/ties) rot. Other than top portion looks are not a priority. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-05, 06:51 PM
lawnpoor
Visiting Guest
Use lose stone and cages

I have seen loose stone filled into wire (heavy wire) cages with rebar at the corners and across the top for support. Wire is not expensive and easy to work with as is rebar. Basically you build a series of large Crab traps (for lack of a better description) across the space you are spaning and fill them with whatever rock (6-8 size probably) that looks good or is really cheap. Out here in Phx we use round river stone because it is everywhere and cheap. Makes a cool looking wall and you can put a preformed concrete cap across it for a finished look. The picture in this link shows what I am talking about ...

http://www.lrs.co.za/architecture2.htm.

Scrool down to the External Gabion Wall - Kwandwe Game Reserve, CC Africa picture. Enjoy!

LP

Old 12-17-05, 07:22 PM
retaining wall advice

You could try concrete retaining wall units (Google on Allan Block, Anchor Wall Systems, Keystone, Versalok). Cheaper than concrete and are a DIY project. No footings and do not have to go down below the frost line.

Dick

Old 12-29-05, 04:02 PM
Hotstuff
Visiting Guest
gobi's

I have used a new block to make my retaining wall, I saw them at a green build show. They called it the gobi building system and had built ponds, walls, planters, even a small shed out of them. My wall is only a small one to make a raised flowerbed, but i found it easy even for a smiple girl like me. they just slotted together and I filled them and the back with soil. I found them on the net using the info on a card I picked up at the green build. they have a website:

http://www.ez-eco.co.uk

maybe this might be an answer to your problem.