Window well fills with water

Old 12-29-05, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I will also post this in the Windows forum.

Last summer I replaced a basement window after moving into this house. The installer advised me to put in a galvanized steel window well. I did and put in several inches of stones.

Once in the summer I left the lawn sprinkler on too long, water filled the well and leaked into the basement.

Now it's winter, but we've had a sudden burst of mild temperatures and rain. The snow cover has thawed. Yesterday the window well filled again and water leaked into the basement.

I think the soil in that area of the yard is clay.

Any ideas on how I can fix this, both when spring comes and, if possible, now?

One thought that occured to me is to dig down below the well wall, insert a plastic pipe and run it along a downward sloping trench to create a drain. But I'm hoping there's an easier fix. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-05, 10:30 AM
Does the ground slope away from the window well?

Old 12-29-05, 11:33 AM

Any time you dig a hole in a claylike soil, you are creating a place to fill with water.

You either grade the slope away and cover up the well of drain the well if water can get in.

The drain can be laterally to a lower area or down to drain tile if you have it (second choice).

Dick

Old 12-30-05, 07:44 AM
Thanks. Yesterday was warm enough for me to go outside, get down on my knees and closely examine the site. I think I've spotted the cause. The well is about one foot from where an addition juts out. There's a lot of snow melt dripping from the roof there because the eavestroughs are still snow-packed. The water hits a small patch of ground, maybe a bit more than one foot square. That area slopes down right toward the well and might be directing water through a gap of about a half-inch between the well and the house. I found a tub of dirt in the garage and am thawing it so I can regrade that spot ro direct the water away from the house.