Stump removal ideas ?

Old 01-06-06, 10:37 AM
Stump removal ideas ?

Just had a rather large tree removed down to a few inches above ground level.
It was expensive so I couldn't afford the additional grinding option.
What I need are ideas about how to remove/dissolve this stump. I've heard that drilling holes and filling them with motor oil will kill what's left of the stump/roots and rot/soften the wood over time.
Is there a better technique for this?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-06, 11:33 AM
im sure there are better options, but we have taken 55 gallon barrels, cut out both ends, and placed them over the stumps and burned fires in them. may have to burn several fires or keep it going for a period of time, but it will burn out eventually.

Old 01-06-06, 11:50 AM
burning is an effective option. there are also de-composing agents that can be applied to the stump. still need to drill. how wide is it ? what type of tree ?
btw, please don't dump motor oil on it. it wouldn't work anyway. you may be able to rent a stump grinder. rates run from 150.00/day or less.

Old 01-06-06, 08:10 PM
If you can get them to come back....

Large tree stumps can take a very long time to decay... here's one possible suggestion. If you could get the tree service that cut your tree down to come back for a reasonable fee and make just one more cut.. but before they do get a shovel and dig all the soil away from your stump about 12 inches deep by 18 or so inches wide all the way around the stump. Then get a sharp tool (ax or mattock for example) and THROUGHLY skin all the bark off the stump that is visiable in the area you have exposed. And finally wash any dirt or grit off the skinned stump with a garden hose. This will allow the tree cutting guy to cut the stump off below ground level. It should only take him about 10 or 15 minutes, you can then cover it up with soil and seed it or mulch it if it's in a bed. Then it will gradually decay, down the road you will probably have to add a little soil to that area but that's prefferable to have to dispose of a mountain of wood shavings that the stump grinder would leave.

Even a tiny amount of dirt can quickly dull a chain saw (VERY time consuming to re-sharpen) this is one reason tree service people are reluctant to cut stumps close to ground level.

Chain saws can be very dangerous so unless you have had proper training I would't recommend you renting or borrowing one and trying to do it yourself. In the blink of an eye they can do terrible things to the human body.. don't risk it. Best of luck...38 years in the business and still learning...Greensboro_Man

Old 01-07-06, 07:23 AM
As flopshot mentioned there are commercial products available there are two that I know for sure of one called stump be gone and the other stump remover most nurseries carry them. Its a matter of drilling a few holes pouring it in and leaving it to naturally decompose. After it does the stump can be chipped away or burnt. If you want a quicker solution then digging down and cutting below ground level would work, however I did attempt this in the past and had lots of little trees sprout from the shallow roots (we are on clay) also a problem with fungi. Maybe it was the type of tree (poplar) it was about 20" in diameter. I eventually dug down again and used the stump remover. You can also try the following link; http://landscaping.about.com/cs/lazy...mp_removal.htm

Old 01-07-06, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Removing trees and their nasty stumps is a bit of a pastime for me on my small rural property.
For me the most effective/economical way is to hand dig to expose the roots and use an axe/chainsaw to cut below grade.
I'll ditto the safety advice about trying this without a great deal of experience on the chainsaw.
I've been using a chainsaw for quite some time and use full safety gear including fibreglass faced pants and would not recommend anyone do this as a one shot thing.
Besides the safety aspect, when cutting roots with a chainsaw you will be spending way more time sharpening chains than actually cutting because of it being impossible to totally remove all traces of soil and tiny rocks that chains just hate.

If you were to expose a good portion of the roots I'm sure it would not be that expensive for someone qualified to cut it out and haul it away.