Trimming Huge tree

Old 01-17-06, 03:20 PM
D
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trimming Huge tree

I have a huge tree that needs to be trimmed. I got 1 quote for trimming and hauling away for $500.00. To me, that is too much as I know I can trim it myself but the hauling I know nothing about. Anyone have experience with where to haul it? I'd probably have to use my boyfriend's truck but still...I'm cheap and don't want to pay $500.00! Or I can cut it down and stick 'em in the yard bin every week for who knows how long

Old 01-17-06, 05:46 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you would have lots of branches and limbs to be putting it out on a weekly basis.
I would try to see if there are any local composting sites near where you live, or if you could rent a chipper for the day or know of someone who has one, then use the mulch / chips for your garden and plants. Know of anyone that would take it for firewood?

Old 01-18-06, 07:00 AM
K
there are alot of things to consider when trimming a "huge" tree. first is safty. you will be climbing up very high off the ground and a fall could kill you. if you are not familiar with chain saws, they can be extremely dangerous. also you need to know how to cut the tree without damaging [wounding] the tree. those are just a few issues. with that said, 500.00 doesnt sound ridiculous to me as they will also have to pay to dump the debris they haul off. i would get three bids and go from there.

Old 01-18-06, 10:24 AM
huge tree

yeah 500.00 doesnt sound so bad considering the haul-off, if it is a tree company they probably have the big chipper too which you will not get a any tool rental place as for hauling stuff away check out your city dump location they usually have collection substations within the city and will let you dump stuff for free if you show your receipt from the trash pick up service you pay every month.
Best Idea is to get a couple more quotes and go from there as mentioned above.

Old 01-18-06, 11:33 AM
D
Thanks guys. I know $500 doesn't sound ridiculous...just a lot for me and my budget as I would like to spend that money on something else on the house. I'll be getting a few more quotes though. That sounds good. I'll let you know if I fall! Actually, if I fall I probably won't be around. Hee hee...not funny. I'll be careful and drink my V8!..have my 10 yr old son around to call 911, just in case. I won't deal w/the chainsaws as I'm too scared to use them. I've used a handsaw before to trim the bottom portion as that worked out good but it's time to do the top too.

Thanks for all the info! Just need to decide now...

Old 02-06-06, 10:11 AM
D
Yeah, so I thot I was going to trim the tree myself...never even started! But this weekend another Tree Trimming Co came by as they were doing my neighbor's tree...so I paid him $175 to trim the tree! What a deal...he was really nice and finished in 1-2 hours. Even though I thot I would've been able to do it myself, after he cut everything the way I wanted it, there was sooooo many leaves and branches on the ground, I would've never finished by myself! I could see my neighbors houses now and my own too so...$500 was ridiculous!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: