Ground cover options?

Old 01-25-06, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ground cover options?

Hi,
Would like any thoughts on how to address the following:
The 'lawn' area of my back yard that comes up to the foundation walls of the house is mostly small rock left from the removal of an old porch by a previous owner. I tried to rake up most of the stone, but they are tiny and run deep into the clay soil here in the mid-Atlantic area.

I've thought about pouring a decorative pebbled concrete surface over this area as it is darn hard to mow safely and turns into a muddy mess when we get a lot of rain.

Hubby wants some sort of ground cover--I'm not too happy with that idea as we have a local population of Copperhead snakes that I'd rather not get too chummy with. They can live in the woods near the creek 150 feet away, that is plenty clsoe enough for me.

Any ideas on a ground cover other than ivy or anything else viney? We thought about Irish Moss or japonica, but I am not sure they would thrive well. The back of the house faces west and in the height of summer it gets pretty hot and has almost direct sunlight for 8 hours a day.

Oops, almost forgot, There is still a screened porch in the center of this area--so far no slitheries seem to live there, but it is just hard clay/w rocks too.

Old 02-14-06, 08:24 AM
K
possible groundcover

You might want to take a look at one of the many varieties of creeping thyme. It loves dry conditions and full sun, can take pedestrian traffic, and grows very low, so it wouldn't hide any snakes. Only drawback for a high traffic area is when it blooms (beautifully) in late spring for a couple of weeks, it will attract bees.

Old 02-25-06, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion about the thyme. That didn't even occur to me, but I did some research and it sounds like a good option--except for the bees--what the heck I'll build 'em a hive!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: