Privacy shrub

Old 02-23-06, 07:37 AM
Privacy shrub

I live in central Georgia. I have a new residence and was looking to add a boundary/privacy wall in my backyard between my neigbors. I had been planning to build a 6' privacy fence, but now I'm thinking that planting might be a good option. I'm looking for something that will provide me with at minimum 6' of thick vegetation. I need something that would provide dense coverage with very little visual gaps, though my function is not to keep anything in or out (or I would definitely build a fence). I have 150' of the back of my yard and 75'(there are already some trees here that help for part of this side) on one side to cover. What shrub/tree will give me the best/thickest coverage with fast growth time in this part of the country?

Troup

Last edited by TroupB; 02-23-06 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 11:27 AM
If it were me, I'd be asking this question at my local, privately owned nursery (not a big box store). They will know better than anyone else what grows best in your area. I recently did the same thing you are thinking of, although across the front of my yard. At first I wanted to build a 4' wall but ended up putting in Indian Hawthorne. The ones I chose will get 4' x 4' and I planted them slightly less than 4' apart center to center and 2' off the front of the property.

Also a good idea to take a drive around your area looking at what others are using for hedges and shrubs. This will start you thinking about what you like/don't like. Whether you want flowering, or variegated foliage, etc... Especially look at what local landscapers have used around parking lots and note what looks good to you growing full out and what looks good to you tightly sheared. I always like to take drives though the high end neighborhoods of my city, where people have usually had actual landscapers design their properties - always some great ideas there and plant combinations that you hadn't thought of. A trip to a local botanical garden will also show you things that will grow in your area but might not be so popular that they are on the shelf at the nursery (but can be special ordered).

One thing to think about is whether or not you are looking for something formal that will be sheared, if this is the case you need a hedge shrub that has a lot of full inner branching. Also consider how much maintenance you are willing to do if you are going for that formal, sheared look.

Old 02-25-06, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by TroupB
I live in central Georgia. I have a new residence and was looking to add a boundary/privacy wall in my backyard between my neigbors. I had been planning to build a 6' privacy fence, but now I'm thinking that planting might be a good option. I'm looking for something that will provide me with at minimum 6' of thick vegetation. I need something that would provide dense coverage with very little visual gaps, though my function is not to keep anything in or out (or I would definitely build a fence). I have 150' of the back of my yard and 75'(there are already some trees here that help for part of this side) on one side to cover. What shrub/tree will give me the best/thickest coverage with fast growth time in this part of the country?

Troup
Red Tip Phoetina (sp?) might be a good option. I believe Georgia is the coorect growing zone. It is a fast grower, will grow quite high, can be cut aggressively, and during the growing season is covered with a beautiful red foliage.

Old 02-28-06, 06:40 AM
what about Thuja Green Giants? Anyone ever used these trees?