hedge trimmers and chain link fences

Old 02-27-06, 09:44 AM
hedge trimmers and chain link fences

We have a Chinese cherry hedge which grows around and through a chain link fence. Every time I cut the hedge I end up with my reciprocating trimmer catching the fence and locking the blade due to a bent tooth. 15 minutes with a hammer and vice grips to unjam it and very reduced life of my trimmers, particularly since you can't just replace the blade. The fence is right at the sidewalk line so just keeping the trimmer away from the fence doesn't really work out.

Does anyone know of a type of trimmer which might be less prone to this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-06, 11:01 AM
I use a regular hedge trimmer. Never have problems catching the chain link fence .. and I would think it would be hard to do, unless you angled the trimmer for some reason instead of running it along the fence line flat. I have never used a reciprocating trimmer before, but I suspect the hedge trimmer would be easier to maneuver along the chain link fence, giving more control and less chance of snagging the fence.

Old 02-27-06, 11:14 AM
Its certainly not hard for me to do! I can't find any type other than the reciprocating type, so I'm thinking that's what you mean when you say "regular". Its got a 2-part blade with teeth, one part moves in and out, the other part stays in place.

Old 02-27-06, 06:25 PM
I am thinking of hedge clippers that resemble large scissors.

Old 03-01-06, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by chfite
I am thinking of hedge clippers that resemble large scissors.
Yea, I suppose that would work but sure make for a lot of extra work. Guess I'll just keep my hammer and vise-grips handy