Recreating the yard.

Old 02-27-06, 04:56 PM
Recreating the yard.

I just bought a house in the last year. I am planning on completely removing the yard, as it is, and recreating the look. I have a few questions/concerns though.

1) I have a "Miss Canada Lilac" that I need to move to another part of the yard. How would I go about doing this. right now it is only about 18 tall.

2) the ground in the yard is "spongy". By this I mean that there seems to be added "spring in my step" when i walk on it. The dry, cracked, void of life sections of the ground (where the old owner had kid play things) is not hard, but rather gives like you are walking on a sponge. The entire yard is this way. There is moss growing in a few places, and a small (12-15 foot) tree in the yard has "root rot". The tree is comming out. what do i have to do with this land to make it properly fertile? I am wanting to plant new grass and have a veg garden, plant a few new trees/bushes.

I live halfway up a westwardly facing hill in south-west PA area.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-06, 08:47 AM
Have you tried contacting your local county extension office for advice on the 'spongy' texture of your ground? They or a local nursery could give you the best advice for your area as well as pointers on moving that lilac. It sounds pretty large--that may present some problems for a successfule move. And you should considering doing it soon before new growth appears to lessen the transplant shock.

Old 03-08-06, 10:58 AM
update.

sorry, I was unclear before....the lilac is 18 inches tall. it is only maybe a year or two old.

the "spongy" ground on the other hand...all i need to know is if I need to dig down enough to remove it or will it be ok to cultivate a yard on the ground the way it is? If it must be removed, what do i put in it's place? just top soil? ragular dirt? should i mix in rock or sand?

Old 03-12-06, 08:14 PM
Is soil spongy due to moisture issues? Rainy season? Overwatering? Or, is it spongy due to tunnels from moles and voles? If there are moisture issues, then there are grading and drainage issues that may need to be addressed. If you have moles and voles, then you must address grubs in the lawn on which moles feed. Voles prefer vegetation and can be controlled with baits, traps, and repellents.

Digging down will do you no good unless you identify the cause of the spongy lawn. Perhaps a consultation with a lawn care professional would provide you with some answers. The first step before beginning lawn renovation is to get a soil test. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent regarding soil test, recommended seed for your area, lawn maintenance schedule, and other lawn care info. Without a soil test, you will not know what amendments need to be mixed in your soil to prepare it for grass seed.